Friday, October 20, 2006

 

Project ONE


The snow is sneaking back into the ground now so the subject for today is the fireplace. Note the fancy Italian "Sonus Faber" speakers!
I have to use the stuff in the second photo to make a fireguard or firescreen as it is called here. it is more than 1.5 metres wide and a metre high! How shall I secure it? I am thinking of hinging it at the top so it can be lifted to make the fire up and get the ashes up but how to hold it up when open? don't anyone say gas shocks like a car boot because we don't know what happens when those things get hot and this is a relatively flimsy door anyway.
Thanks for all your comments - I can't seduce you all with recent photos of our cute grandchildren I am afraid.
Maureen has the afternoon off and we are going to Denver - the closest thing to a city in this state - to look at bathrooms! I am counting the seconds until we can do that!
More snow tomorrow!

Comments:
Some kind of counterbalance- like a sash window would be ideal.

What are Sonus Faber speakers?

Ben
 
I suggest suspending it from the ceiling on picture wire so that you can easily swing it out of the way when making up the fire. If you get the swing right you won't even need to hold it.
If you are being more conservative, then some feet may do the trick!
 
If you miss-time the swing then it may smack you in the back of the head and knock you into the fire! Go for the far more elegant 'sash solution' Trust me, I am Chartered!

Ben
 
How about two pieces of string & cup-hooks in the ceiling?
Better still, it could have feet & you could move it away from the fire to make it up & then put it back again. I have seen a number that work on this principal quite successfully.
Sonus what?
GN
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?