Friday, March 02, 2007

 

Takes Two to -----


Tonight is Tango night! watching it at least.
I look at it as magic and I think if I ever even began to understand it the magic would be lost. Like dissecting a flower or slitting a song-bird's throat.
I just see people flying above the ground and dissolving into each other.
Originally danced by two men while waiting at brothels, the Tango was sanitized into acceptability in Paris, so I just read. There are shows all over town where you have dinner, drinks and then see tango dancing.
There has been a revival in young people's interest in Tango since I was here five years ago and it is great to see young musicians and dancers instead of baby-boomers.
My next poem will be about the wrinkly, withering surface on everything, television, industry, politics provided by baby-boomers who just refuse to die.
Key to the music is the bandonien - the large squeeze-box in the first picture. It comes in various sizes and is bounced on the knee sometimes, while playing, to accentuate the rhythm.
All magic to me. Like galloping on a horse!
Kathrine is right it is quite smooth, at least for the rider but as to it being "not as difficult as it looks" I will defer to my " magic theory" again since both galloping and tango are both things I will never do.
So glad to get a comment from Cassie in New Jersey - welcome to the board of cynics here!
One reader I can imagine doing tango is Lorraine - one of my New York readers - whom also does not write public comments (and is probably thinking he means who not whom! since she is an English pedant)
Anyway she is slim and blond and cute and I can imagine her dancing tango.
Katherine I can imagine on a horse but somehow not dancing tango especially not with little William - who has all MY (in)aptitude for dance I fear!


Comments:
Tango looks great. I have considered dragging little William to dancing classes but he does indeed fear dancing and I have sadly got no rhythm whatsoever, so I think we will stick with the cycling.
What should the rest of us do without babyboomers?
MK x
 
Babyboomers = Baby sitters as far as i can see!
I can't imagine that I would be able to do anything in any way resembling a graceful tango even if i spent a year learning. Not having any interest in doing so does not help though...
 
Babysitters need to be closer than 5000 miles away! At present, they also need to be able to manage lactation for Katie Poppy (as Tim now calls her)

Ben
 
I have a complaint - this blog needs to be updated more frequently!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?