Tuesday, August 21, 2007

 

Arkady Renko strikes again!

Was excited to find and buy this book at Denver airport on the way to New Jersey and had finished it by the time I got back to the airport.
Renko is the star of some of Cruz Smith's books - I did not like this one as much as the previous one "Wolves Eat Dogs" where he was in the surroundings of Chernobyl.
He is my favourite author and I wait two years for him to write a book and then read it in three days and wait another two years.
If anybody wants it let me know. - the writing is first class always. Even if you don't like or believe the story - his descriptions are exquisitely poetic.
I will copy the prologue on the poetry blog and you will see his love of Russia - particularly Moscow - and even the weather.

Comments:
I'll do you a swap, if you send that one to me i'll send you one that I think you may like. (Not Harry Potter, I promise)
 
The cover says 'Stalins Ghost' so what is the gist of the story, the tie in to Stalin?

Di
 
Stalin is not really an important part of the book - Arkady has to investigate the appearance of Stalin, or his ghost, on a subway train. I think it would spoil the book to tell you more. Previous books about Arkady Renko - like Gorky Park, Polar Star, Wolves Eat Dogs, would give you more of the background about where he picks up a sort of wife (Eva) and a sort of son (Zhnya)both of whom feature large in this latest book.
Personally I like his books about other things better - like Rose, Stalion Gate (about building the atomic bomb in New Mexico) December 6th (called Tokyo Station in UK) about the life of a kid in Tokyo right before Pearl Harbour.
WRM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?