Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 

Geoduck

A coincidence that E remembered eating calamari in Monterey - I had my first geoduck there last weekend. Pronounced "gooeyduck" it is a giant clam. These were the least obscene pictures I could find of it.


Saw them on a cooking show where they said they were famously tough - and they are!


Studying the dictionary and Google it seems the name comes from a native tribe in the Puget Sound area (northwest USA by Seattle) and it means "dig deep" referring to the fact that they have a long siphon (as you can see) and they are hard to dig up.


Then I remembered the giant clam I have eaten in sushi bars and I believe they are the same thing - really tough - horrible looking.




On the other hand (or maybe some other body part) I also tried abalone - which is like a scallop and very nice.
I will try to keep in touch from the far east for the next couple of weeks

Comments:
We went whale watching off Monteray (sp?)
Will the sat nav find whales?
 
No, only Wales!
Those gooeyducks look dodgy to me. I am not that bothered about scallops either really so I think I could give them a miss.
When are you back from Seoul?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?