Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

When the moon is in the seventh house ---

and jupiter aligns with mars ---


an inch or two of fresh powder and I was there - for my ski lessons given for Christmas by W, MK and J.

Morning was getting beat up with a "rookie" teacher of about 19 and falling over a lot. Went up the chair lift and skied down the not-so-easy beginners slope six times or so with numerous tumbles and zero useful advice. It's what we experienced teachers call running before you can walk!

In the afternoon, after a hamburger and beating the temptation to go home ----

I had an hour or so with an experienced teacher who skied backwards in front of me - telling me what to do - quite a difference. So-- if I can still walk tomorrow I may go again!

Then for dinner the "Slanted Door" - known to one or two of my readers, came to Boulder with "Shakin Beef" a delicious Vietnamese dish with cubes of fillet steak, marinated in rice wine, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic etc cooked very briefly in the wok with authentic Slanted Door cocktails (a ginger limeade vodka martini thingy) authentic Slanted Door broken rice and their recipe for corn. May have been even better than the restaurant in San Francisco itself.


Comments:
The skiing looks like fun. Since you don't like living in a cold place that much, you should at least enjoy the only good thing about the cold weather- the snow.

Ben
 
I'm glad that you went and seem to have at leasted sort of enjoyed some of it. Were there others with you in the class? I think you should try some more lessons with the good guy another time and see how it goes if you can still walk!
Well done for going and the food looked very good too.
 
Welcome in the club of skieers, you can look foreward to many happy hours, and a lot of fun wondering how the young ones succeed so easily! We ae thinking in cinsequenses about faling.
t
 
Well done William. You must keep going because you will get much better at skiing.
Food looks fab.....
Sue
 
William don't be afraid to give up - I did and I haven't looked back!!! I think you are very brave to have gone up the ski lift on the first day. I think it took me a week to pluck up the courage.

Elaine
PS A mystery copy of Tokyo Station, posted in England, has arrived here this morning. Any clues?
 
Yes I sent the book E I hope you haven't read it - the book is called December 6th here. It is part of your bd present - a very inexpensive part because it is a used book - otherwise it;s out of print. Stuff on the way for KP too.
WRM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?