Sunday, February 03, 2008

 

Supercooled Liquids

Got into the car this morning where there were three bottles of water lined up like this - the temperature was around 14 F - say -8C.
The center (centre) bottle was almost full and frozen solid - the other two were not full and not frozen at all. I picked one of the, still-liquid, ones up and shook it - it froze instantly - then I picked the other one up and the same thing happened! By the time I had driven 80 miles and took this pic they had melted again and further shaking had no effect - Comments involving traces of saliva, the inclusion of cold air by shaking etc. will be interesting.

This is my $329 midweek season pass for the ski resort! - each trip would otherwise cost $59 for a lift pass so I consider it a barg. I can just drive up there, ski, and come home without lining up for anything except, possibly a hamburger - and they are cheaper for we season-pass types too!

All I have to do now is learn how to ski!


Comments:
The freezing thing is nothing to do with the minutely different constituents of the water. it may be that the nearly empty ones had melted due to the contact with the dash- being black, the sun will have heated it up by radiation, it has conducted heat back into the bottom of the bottle. That's my submission to the great debate!

Ben
 
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
A small pocket of warm air in the dimple at the bottom of the bottle may have halped. There is not a lot of contact between the bottle & the dash.
It could be magic.
g
 
I only put them on the dash to take the photo. The discovery was made when the temperature was as stated. There was no sun and the bottles were in cup holders between the two front seats. All the bottles had some spit, bugs, air etc in them. None was a new, unopened, bottle.
Think about radiation heat loss and surface area - greater in the full bottle.
WRM
 
I have nothing to add other than I am enviou of the skiing opportunities!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?