Thursday, March 13, 2008

 

Thursday The Thirteenth

Anyone who has been to see me in Boulder will have been to the Bookstore - housed in an old ballroom with big rooms and small rooms, busy rooms and quiet rooms all full of new and some used books. The "Living Poets Society" meets there second Tuesday of the month to read and discuss a book by a current poet. Since the group started last November, numbers have risen and it is a great success.
The most recent new member was born in Coundon Coventry and went to Bablake School (where W and B went) more than 50 years ago!
The books above include the worst poetry book I ever read - the pretty red one on the left by Robert Hass and the best one next to it by Charles Simic I will post one in awheywithwords.blogspot.com.
The Road, on the right, I just read and is an excellent description of a man and his young son after some global Apocalypse. Sounds depressing but so did A Thousand Splendid Suns - which E clearly enjoyed a lot. Both excellent descriptive writing even if we don't like what is described.
Behind the books you can see that the Tulips are hurrying along to catch the last of the (inevitably yet to come) snow. The bookstore photograph is a library pic taken in some spring past.



Did I mention my new phone? I monitor the weather in various places I think about a lot and one night the temperatures were all the same!
The snow is still here melting and the vestigial snowman is still visible.
No wonder the back lawn looks patchy in the summer!
Lest you think I just sit around reading I have replaced a dozen or so tiles on the roof this week - having been to the Monier rooftile plant in Denver and scrounged some "samples" - reminded me of the old Marley days! One day I'll show you my vacuum cleaners too!

Comments:
I wondered how you found the Cormac McCarthy book, did you knwo that he wrote No Country for Old men that was made into the film that won lots of Oscars? I can't find a book I want to read at the moment so i'll see if I can find a copy.
Having seen the weather on your iphone, it appears that, despite the temperature being the same everywhere, Copenhagen was getting the worst of it. More greyness and rain.
Funny to meet another old Wheatlean (Bablake old boy for those in the know) how did he end up in Boulder?
 
Did you read ' Thousand Splendid Suns' William? (jnr)
Seriously very very good. Can recommend.
Elaine
 
I found the Kite Runner much more enjoyable I don't think W has read that one yet - what did you like in the Splendid Suns Elaine? The abuse of women or the murder of men? I thought it was well written but I would rather not know what the human race is capable of sometimes. I am glad YOU enjoyed it though. I hear Kahled Hussaeni (?) has given up being a doctor now!
wrm
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?