Tuesday, April 29, 2008

 

Happy Hummingbird Story

Last evening (hence the rather dark photo) This hummingbird hit the window and stunned itself. I found it laying on it's side with its wings out but I could see it was still breathing. I have never seen one without its wings beating before. The wings are surprisingly small relative to the body.

I took its photo and then watched as it successfully turned onto its feet and folded its wings up.

It stood there for a long time but I was delighted to see that it had gone when I came back later.

These birds seem so special but are quite common here. They live on the nectar from flowers, usually red flowers, which they lick with a long thin tongue inside that long thin beak. 

The statistics on their metabolic rate, how much of this food they need and how much of their day they spend getting it, with never a rest from using the wings to hover, are amazing. 

They have iridescent red and green plumage and there are several different types and colors.

I did my mile swim this morning now I will attempt the Flagstaff Mountain by Moots.


Comments:
I am sure that your squirrel or fox were also pleased to see the little chap!

Ben
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?