Sunday, October 26, 2008

 

Patek Phillippe Museum

For those not familiar with the brand - Patek watches are not usually
seen on wrists because they live in safes.
The cheapest ones cost around $20,000. The museum covers 500 years of
watchmaking from all over the world. Most fascinating to me was an ALL
wooden watch - before anyone asks I don't know about the springs but
it did have wooden wheels and a wooden cylinder escapement. All I
could see was wood. It even had a wooden chain with jointless links
carved from one solid piece. Different colors of woods were used for
contrast between hands and dial.
The watches that attracted me were the "first quarz watches" from
Patek. Photography was forbidden but I stole these snaps of the only
quarz models in the place. These were from the 70s and unusual
looking. Most Pateks look conventional.

Comments:
I found a Patek Phillipe shop in Nelson Mandella square in Sandton last weekend. They were not even priced but looked great.

Did you hear about my swatch 007?

Just got back from London with Tim and Katie. They were both angels on the train- we left Elaine on the Heathrow express for her Kenya trip.

Ben
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?