Wednesday, November 12, 2008

 

Now for something completely different

This is not actually the one but it is very close - even the garage full of junk around it looks like mine. 
I bought it from and old man in Nuneaton who had bought it from an auction of police bikes - he knew the cop who had ridden this one and apparently the cops took their bike home at night. The mileage was quite high but the constant maintenance in the police workshop meant everything was spot on. 
I will try to find some photos of my actual one but the differences are small - mine had two disc brakes on the front which was a huge asset.
This was the first bike I really loved loved loved - 1976 - one of the first Police Beemers imported to England. 
Flat horizontally opposed twin, shaft driven and it also had a fairing - which I took off and put back on several times. Fairings (wind protection for legs and body and a wind shield) are nice on long journeys and for touring. I took this baby to France on the ferry for some touring in Brittany and Normandy with the faring on.
This was made in the days before bikes were sold with manufacturer-installed fairings.
For riding around near home the un-cumbersome feel of the unfaired bike was always preferable for me.
This baby was smooth, the faster you went the smoother it became,  beautifully built, very good looking and I kept it from around 1985 until I emigrated to the US in 1994. Selling it, once again, without losing much money on it.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?